Hebrews 6:1,2 (ESV)
1 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment
Last Sunday we went over the first three elementary doctrines of Christ
- Repentance from dead works
- Faith toward God
- Instruction about washings or baptisms
This Sunday we will cover the next three elementary doctrines
4. Laying on of Hands
5. The resurrection of the dead
6. Eternal judgment
Scriptures to review:
1. Laying on of Hands
- Luke 4:40 (NIV) At sunset, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them.
- Acts 9:17 (NIV) Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord–Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here–has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
- Acts 28:8 (NASB) And it happened that the father of Publius was lying in bed afflicted with recurrent fever and dysentery; and Paul went in to see him and after he had prayed, he laid his hands on him and healed him.
- Mark 6:5 (NLT) And because of their unbelief, he couldn’t do any miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick people and heal them.
- Acts 8:17-18 (NLT) Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit. When Simon saw that the Spirit was given when the apostles laid their hands on people, he offered them money to buy this power.
- 1 Tim 5:22 (ESV) Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, nor take part in the sins of others; keep yourself pure.
- But keep in mind that the laying on of hands is not a new Covenant phenomenon. In the old testament it was used to commission someone in ministry. Numbers 27:23 (NLT) Moses laid his hands on him [Joshua] and commissioned him to lead the people, just as the LORD had commanded through Moses.
2. The resurrection of the dead
- Acts 4:2 (NLT) These leaders were very disturbed that Peter and John were teaching the people that through Jesus there is a resurrection of the dead.
- Acts 23: 6Paul realized that some members of the high council were Sadducees and some were Pharisees, so he shouted, “Brothers, I am a Pharisee, as were my ancestors! And I am on trial because my hope is in the resurrection of the dead!”7This divided the council—the Pharisees against the Sadducees— 8for the Sadducees say there is no resurrection or angels or spirits, but the Pharisees believe in all of these. 9So there was a great uproar. Some of the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees jumped up and began to argue forcefully. “We see nothing wrong with him,” they shouted. “Perhaps a spirit or an angel spoke to him.” 10As the conflict grew more violent, the commander was afraid they would tear Paul apart. So he ordered his soldiers to go and rescue him by force and take him back to the fortress. (NLT)
- ACTS 24:17“After several years away, I returned to Jerusalem with money to aid my people and to offer sacrifices to God. 18My accusers saw me in the Temple as I was completing a purification ceremony. There was no crowd around me and no rioting.19But some Jews from the province of Asia were there—and they ought to be here to bring charges if they have anything against me! 20Ask these men here what crime the Jewish high councilc found me guilty of, 21except for the one time I shouted out, ‘I am on trial before you today because I believe in the resurrection of the dead!’” (NLT)
- 1 CORINTHIANS 15: 12But tell me this—since we preach that Christ rose from the dead, why are some of you saying there will be no resurrection of the dead? 13For if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised either. 14And if Christ has not been raised, then all our preaching is useless, and your faith is useless. 15And we apostles would all be lying about God—for we have said that God raised Christ from the grave. But that can’t be true if there is no resurrection of the dead. 16And if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised. 17And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless and you are still guilty of your sins. 18In that case, all who have died believing in Christ are lost! 19And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world. (NLT)
- John 11:25 (NLT) Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.”
3. Eternal Judgment
- Mark 3: 28Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:29But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: 30Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. (KJV)
- John 5: 26The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son.27And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man.d 28Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, 29and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment. (NLT)
- Matthew 23: 31“But in saying that, you testify against yourselves that you are indeed the descendants of those who murdered the prophets.32Go ahead and finish what your ancestors started. 33Snakes! Sons of vipers! How will you escape the judgment of hell?34“Therefore, I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers of religious law. But you will kill some by crucifixion, and you will flog others with whips in your synagogues, chasing them from city to city. 35As a result, you will be held responsible for the murder of all godly people of all time—from the murder of righteous Abel to the murder of Zechariah son of Barachiah, whom you killed in the Temple between the sanctuary and the altar. 36I tell you the truth, this judgment will fall on this very generation.(NLT)
Next week we will continue laying more foundations about the Kingdom.